The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Why You Need Plants In Your Office
We all know only too well how dull the average office can look. The combination of computers, printers, desks, chairs and notice boards create a wealth of different shades of grey that no one finds particularly appealing.
The miserable colour schemes of offices are only added to in the winter when there’s even a lack of natural light to brighten up our workplace.
One actionable way to add a splash of colour to an office is to place a few potted plants or flowers about the place.
And did you know, adding flowers and plants serve another purpose which may not ring true with everyone. According to this article from Greatist, putting plants in an office space can boost its Feng Shui. Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese practice which is based on moving around objects in a room in order to attract positive energy to the space.
Understandably, this might not exactly be top of the list of priorities for the majority of line managers around the world.
However, there are some other more factually based reasons why we should all have plants and flowers in our workplace.
Take a look at the below infographic from flowercard.co.uk. It’s titled ‘10 Reasons Why Every Office Needs Plants & Flowers’ and discusses a variety of physical and psychological reasons why having plants in the office is a must.
This infographic covers everything from air quality to cutting background noise, boosting creativity to impressive visitors. Take a look for yourself below.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
10 REASONS WHY EVERY OFFICE NEEDS PLANTS & FLOWERS
Having plants and flowers around your office doesn’t just brighten the place up, but has also been shown to bring a range of physical and psychological benefits to you and your colleagues.
Healthier and happier workers are always harder workers, so if you haven’t already, it might be time to consider some plants or flowers for your workplace!
Here are ten reasons to consider turning your office green.
1. INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY
- A study from Exeter University found that employees were 15% more productive when working in an office with only a few houseplants.
- The researchers found that employee performance on memory retention and other basic tests experience a substantial improvement.
- It’s believed that the reason behind this is that the plants better ‘psychologically engage‘ the employees.
2. REDUCED BACKGROUND NOISE
- A little known function of plants is that they can actually help to reduce noise. In fact, they could reduce noise levels in your office by as much as five decibels!
- They do this by absorbing sound waves, which creates a much less distracting environment for your employees to work in.
3. CLEANER AIR
- Introducing plants into the office will also help to increase the air quality in the office, reducing CO2 levels by as much as 50%.
- They’ll also help to reduce all the nasty stuff such as dust, bacteria, and mould which would otherwise be inhaled by you and your colleagues.
4. INCREASED CREATIVITY
- Another study from the University of Exeter found that creativity increased as much as 35% when houseplants were present in the office.
- This could be because they help us to feel more relaxed and calm, which puts us in a more creative mindset.
5. REDUCED SICKNESS
- Indoor plants also have health benefits, and can help to reduce the amount of sick days your employees take by as much as 50% and minor illnesses by 30%.
- The fewer days people are taking off, the more work everyone will get done!
6. REDUCED STRESS
- A recent study found that indoor plants can also help boost our mental health and reduce stress, anxiety, and fatigue.
- The presence of plants simply makes a space more calming to be in, making us more comfortable and happy to be at work.
7. A REMINDER OF THE GREAT OUTDOORS
- Being cooped up in an office all day isn’t the healthiest way to spend your day, and it can become easy to forget how beautiful the outdoors can be, especially in a big city.
- Having a plant at your desk will remind you of the joys of the natural environment and give you an all-round feeling of well-being.
8. IMPRESSED CLIENTS & VISITORS
- Your office isn’t just about you and your colleagues. You’ll likely have a number of clients and other visitors passing through the doors everyday, so why not jazz things up a bit for them with some attractive indoor plants.
9. A COOLER OFFICE
- On a hot summer day, indoor plants can actually help to keep the office temperature down.
- This is due to a process called transpiration, where moisture is released from the plant into the air as vapour, and helps keep the room at an optimum humidity level.
10. A MORE DESIRABLE WORKPLACE
- While other factors will rightly be considered more important, the design and layout of an office is actually very important in whether someone chooses to work for your company.
- As many as a third of people have said that an office layout would impact if they wanted to work there, so it’s definitely worth thinking about.
Brought to you by Flowercard.co.uk