Carolyn Blackburne https://unscrambled-words.com 1m 206
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Crazy for Crosswords: 1 in 3 Americans Crossword Regularly
Crosswords are a part of millions of Americans’ routines. Whether they use puzzles to practice self-care, exercise the brain, or for fun – a new nationwide survey of over 1,000 Americans looked at the nation’s crossword habits.
Highlights from the study include:
- 1 in 3 Americans crossword regularly, but only 1 in 5 say they consistently complete it
- Crosswords are most popular amongst Gen Z and Baby Boomers
- 50% of Gen Z regularly do a crossword
- 38% of Baby Boomers regularly do a crossword
- 73% of Americans do a Sunday crossword
- 4 hours and 15 minutes – that’s how long it takes the average American to finish a crossword
- 1 in 5 Americans wait 10 minutes or fewer before cheating on a crossword by looking up the answer!
Even though we use our phones and computers for nearly everything, it seems people still prefer print crosswords. The study found nearly half (43%) use a printed crossword book and 36% use a newspaper crossword. Even with the explosion of Wordle, 2 in 3 Americans say they still prefer a printed crossword.
To find out where the most popular place to do a crossword is, please take a look at our full study. You might be shocked to see how many admitted to using crosswords in the bathroom!