The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Functions of The Left and Right Brain
The human brain has been an object of scientific studies for many years. Psychologists and neuroscientists have always tried to learn as much as possible about brain’s functions.
The difference between left and right brain hemispheres is one of the most discussed topics among all the other brain studies.
Apart from having specific functions, the two hemispheres constantly interact with each other. Understanding of those interactions not only brings the theoretical knowledge but also makes it possible to tackle the issues caused by brain injuries or diseases.
Even though some people tend to think that each person uses a certain hemisphere more than the other one, it’s only a misconception. All the people use both left and right brain hemispheres to the equal extent.
To paint this picture clearer, we can make an example based on studies of brain injuries that neuroscientists conducted for many years. The core findings prove that proper interaction between left and right brain hemispheres has great importance. If the left hemisphere is damaged, a person has problems with understanding words, maintaining proper coordination, and speaking. On the contrast, if the right brain hemisphere is damaged, there will be difficulties with impulsiveness and visual perception. It also causes the issue of slow learning.
The functions described above are just a snippet of what left and right brain hemispheres can do. The infographic will tell you more about the differences between the right and left brain in terms of functionality. You’ll also find out some curious facts, and the ways of training both of the brain hemispheres.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
Own Your Copy Today!
LEFT BRAIN VS RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
- Search For Meaning
- Scientific Approach
- Use of Tools
- Non-verbal Language
Each brain hemisphere has its own responsibilities and functions. It’s wrong to believe that one of them is more important than the other. Every person uses both left and right hemispheres equally.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEFT AND RIGHT BRAIN?
- Using the left side of the brain, we can handle dozens of tasks.
- The left hemisphere is responsible for word building, spoken language, and writing.
- When we solve problems and puzzles, electrical and chemical impulses go through the left brain as well.
- Analytical thinking, reasoning, and criticism are mostly the work of this part of the brain, as well as the precise calculations and math skills.
- Right brain processes activate when we try something new and inspiring.
- It’s responsible for imagination, visualization, and creativity.
- Every time you develop new characters or a plot for a story—this is the right brain that starts to work.
- Moreover, this is the hemisphere responsible for art—whether it’s painting, playing musical instruments, knitting, writing poems, and so on.
SOME FACTS ABOUT THE BRAIN YOU DIDN’T KNOW
- The brain generates 50,000 thoughts on average per one day.
- The brain is the fattest organ in the body—fat makes up 60% of the brain.
- People use most of their brain most of the time—not just 10% as the myth says.
- Brain dominance theory is a fake. We can’t be right-brain or left-brained.
- The brain is more active when you sleep—it has to process all the information it got during the day.
- Alcohol doesn’t make us forget last night. It just doesn’t allow us to form new memories.
HOW TO TRAIN THE LEFT AND RIGHT HEMISPHERES
- Creative hobbies
Created by Custom Writing