The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Why are seniors working past retirement age? The majority (62%) point to financial reasons, but the remaining 38% say they’ve continued to work for personal ones.
To learn more, Provision Living surveyed 1,000 seniors who are employed either part-time or full-time about their financial situation and thoughts about aging in the workplace. Findings include:
- 47% of working seniors wish they were retired (20% wished they worked fewer hours)
- More than 1 in 3 fear being laid off because of age
- 44% say physical or mental limitations prevent them from completing tasks
- Of those who cite financial reasons for working, 37% say they can’t afford retirement
Despite eligibility for benefits in their early-to-mid-sixties, the average respondent estimates they’ll retire at the age of 72. To learn more about their financial and career situation, view the full study results here.