Aesthetic Changes of Confessions of the Professions
November 18, 2019 — There are always things happening at Confessions of the Professions and each year, we try to work on a few issues, whether it is functionality, speed, SEO, or aesthetic looks. In our efforts to make our website as easily navigable as possible, we revised the navigation menu, particulary removing the page that led to donations, internal and external resources, news, and RSS feed. We implemented these into the menu itself.
Before, we were missing items we wanted on the menu and if they were not missing, you had to click on a menu item that would take you to a page with a bunch of random links. While it never stopped anyone from clicking and exploring, we felt that by removing these items from the page and adding the most clicked ones to the menu, visitors would be able to find what they were looking for faster. So a detailed description of all of our changes to the menu:
We now show any news:
- A while ago, our logo disappeared for some reason, likely as we were switching over all of our images to a CDN service, and our logo went missing, but we re-created
- We try to be as transparent on this website as possible, as it is not our website only, but yours as well — stay up to date with the lates news from Confessions of the Professions
- While not new to the menu, we wanted to point out that we have a limited amount of Confessions of the Professions pens available for purchase — instead of donating to us without receiving anything in return, we’re happy to give you some flare in return for supporting our website!
- We added a link directly to the resources page
- We had been pondering whether to put a donation button up there, but decided to do so to gain more support for people who love Confessions of the Professions
- We added an otherwise hidden link to our RSS feed
- We added an icon that provides you with a fresh updated version that is not cached, as it was leading some of our contributors to ask where their articles were — caching speeds up everything, but it also may take up to 24 hours to see the updated version of Confessions of the Professions
These are the new menu items. They are not or should not be too intrusive to your reading experience on Confessions of the Professions. We hope you like the direction of the site and we did notice a huge difference from the Medium-like template we had last year and the new switch to this new template we implemented at the end of 2018. Some other changes that happened were that we removed the comments section as the reason for keeping the “comments section” was no longer justifiable. More people are reading. More people are styaing on the site slightly longer. We switched from pagination to an endless scroll on the home page. And finally, we added a feature to let people switch to the next or previous article while on any article which should help expose more material on Confessions of the Professions. We appreciate your loyalty and are grateful to have you as a reader! Thank you!
# # #