U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration https://www.onetonline.org 3m 638 #insights
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
Tasks | Technology Skills | Detailed Work Activities | Job Zone | Credentials | Wages & Employment | Job Openings
- Assign duties or responsibilities to project personnel.
- Communicate with key stakeholders to determine project requirements and objectives.
- Confer with project personnel to identify and resolve problems.
- Create project status presentations for delivery to customers or project personnel.
- Develop or update project plans including information such as objectives, technologies, schedules, funding, and staffing.
- Identify project needs such as resources, staff, or finances by reviewing project objectives and schedules.
- Identify, review, or select vendors or consultants to meet project needs.
- Monitor costs incurred by project staff to identify budget issues.
- Monitor project milestones and deliverables.
- Monitor the performance of project team members to provide performance feedback.
- Negotiate with project stakeholders or suppliers to obtain resources or materials.
- Plan, schedule, or coordinate project activities to meet deadlines.
- Prepare and submit budget estimates, progress reports, or cost tracking reports.
- Produce and distribute project documents.
- Propose, review, or approve modifications to project plans.
- Recruit or hire project personnel.
- Report project status, such as budget, resources, technical issues, or customer satisfaction, to managers.
- Request and review project updates to ensure deadlines are met.
- Schedule or facilitate project meetings.
- Submit project deliverables to clients, ensuring adherence to quality standards.
Detailed Work Activities
- Develop detailed project plans.
- Manage information technology projects or system activities.
- Participate in staffing decisions.
- Assign duties or work schedules to employees.
- Collaborate with others to resolve information technology issues.
- Coordinate resource procurement activities.
- Develop operating strategies, plans, or procedures.
- Discuss business strategies, practices, or policies with managers.
- Gather organizational performance information.
- Manage construction activities.
- Manage operations, research, or logistics projects.
- Monitor flow of cash or other resources.
- Prepare financial documents, reports, or budgets.
- Prepare operational reports or records.
- Prepare scientific or technical reports or presentations.
- Present work to clients for approval.
- Report information to managers or other personnel.
- Select resources needed to accomplish tasks.
- Supervise information technology personnel.
Find occupations related to multiple detailed work activities
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor’s degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include real estate brokers, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Employment data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Industry data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
|Median wages (2020)||$37.22 hourly, $77,420 annual|
|Employment (2020)||1,777,300 employees|
|Projected growth (2020-2030)|
Average (5% to 10%)
|Projected job openings (2020-2030)||141,900|
|Top industries (2020)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data
and 2020-2030 employment projections
“Projected growth” represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2020-2030). “Projected job openings” represent openings due to growth and replacement.