Aliyah Loughlan https://uk.rs-online.com 1m 179 #gendersplit
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
How Do Universities And Subjects Compare?
With the ongoing debate on the gender pay gap and women’s access to senior roles, how well are female professors represented in the teaching profession?
RS Components have analysed the teaching staff at the UK’s top universities for a number of core subjects to discover the female-to-male breakdown – and there’s no surprise that females are outnumbered by males.
The research revealed the subjects that have the most unbalanced gender split. The results are below:
- Maths – only 16% of professors are women
- Computer Science – only 17% of professors are women
- Science – only 17% of professors are women
- Music – only 29% of professors are women
- Geography – only 33% of professors are women
Some stories this piece reveals:
- Maths is the worst subject that women are represented in – with just 16% of teachers being female
- On average 53% of English teachers are female which equals for an almost 50/50 split
- The top universities where females are represented in teaching English include Loughborough, Exeter and East Anglia
For more information about, please visit our interactive infographic.