The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Children’s mental health pandemic statistics
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago recently polled 1,000 parents across the US, focusing on how parents contextualize the impact of the pandemic on their child’s mental health, what choices they regret making and what they’ve done to constructively address challenges.
- 71% of parents believe the pandemic has taken a toll on their child’s mental health.
- 68% wish they’d let their child socialize more, saying they prioritized social distance too much over mental health.
- 65% believe mental health consequences will be greater for children than adults.
- The most unhealthy aspects of the pandemic according to parents: 1. Social isolation 2. Remote learning 3. Too much screen time 4. Fear of the virus 5. Lack of physical activity 6. Frightening news.
- Top ways parents support their child’s mental health: 1. Talking and comforting 2. Pursuing hobbies, fun activities 3. Encouraging better sleep 4. More physical activity 5. Mindfulness and relaxation.
Take a look at the full report.