The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
The U.S. has more immigrants than any other country in the world — yet only 1 in 5 Americans speak a language other than English.
An online educational platform named Preply recently surveyed 1,000 Americans to find out if Americans believe they should cater to languages other than English.
- 7 in 10 say that Americans should cater to other languages.
- 3 in 4 say that the U.S. should have an official language.
- 70% of Americans believe ballots and voting material should be offered in multiple languages.
- Pros of catering to other languages: 1. Promote equality and equity 2. Encourage a melting pot of cultures and customs 3. Fight discrimination, stereotypes and xenophobia.
- Cons of catering to other languages: 1. Increase taxes 2. Frivolous government spending 3. Make the country less united 4. Less opportunities for native English speakers.
Take a look at the full report.