Debbie Murphy 4m 962 #lifehacks
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Life Hacks That Work
- When shopping online, always read the 1-star reviews first.
- If you see a car accident call the police. It may seem obvious but many believe that someone else will do it.
- Don’t right-click-correct incorrectly spelled words. Delete the entire word then re-type it correctly. Do this to train yourself to spell words right the first time instead of relying on spell-check.
- While having dinner at someone’s house, intentionally take smaller portions than you normally would. If you don’t like the meal you’ll be glad you don’t have too much, and if you do like it you can flatter the host by asking for more.
- Before/While watching a TV show or movie try not to look at reviews.
- Before booking a vacation online, call the booking agency directly and ask any question. They will likely give you a discount for calling.
- Apply for a loan a day or two after your normal payday.
- If you suspect you’ve been given a wrong number, read it back to them incorrectly. If they correct it chances are you were given the correct number in the first place.
- Put some tape on the cables of expensive electronics like headphones. If it looks like it’s been repaired badly it’s less likely to get stolen.
- Got bored from one of your favorite songs? Try listening to a cover version. There’s enough difference to feel refreshing while still being faithful to the original.
- Use the three second rule to determine a safe distance while following another vehicle. Once the lead vehicle passes a stationary object, allow three seconds before passing the same object. This works at all speeds.
- Turn your lights on in inclement weather. It’s not for you to be able to see; it’s so other drivers can see you.
- When finishing up at a coffee shop/restaurant, don’t shove your used napkin into your “empty” cup. Some poor soul will have to personally dig to remove the back-wash infested mush that is now glued to the bottom.
- When parking at a large store, don’t prioritize a spot close to the entrance. Prioritize a spot close to a cart return, that’s what you will care about when you’re leaving.
- If you have problems power napping for the right amount of time, hold something in your hand. When it falls, it’s time to wake up.
- Pour your Coffee/Tea from a height of several inches (or more). It will introduce more oxygen into solution and tangibly improve the taste.
- Take a few basic first aid courses. You never know when you’ll have to save a life!
- If a friend/family member asks you a seemingly simple question, consider that they may just want to spend more time with you.
- If you’re going on a vacation, find a whole new playlist to listen to with new songs only. This way when you play it back later you can vividly reminisce about your time there in the future.
- If you’re opening a box with a large, heavy item such as a TV, get it out by opening the bottom, setting it down, and simply lifting up the box.
- If you find yourself having to write or type someone’s name you should know, instead of asking them their name, ask them how to spell it instead, that way you may be able to avoid offending the person.
- Trying to take a clear picture? Hold your breath right before you take the shot.
- If you can make an excuse to buy it, you can also make an excuse not to buy it.
- If something cost 100 and it’s on sale for 75, and you decide to buy it, you did not save 25. You spent 75!
- On most calculators the C button means clear and CE means Clear Entry. The C will clear all input while CE clears the most recent entry, so if you make a mistake in a long computation you don’t need to start all over again.
- When drafting an email, don’t add contacts to the draft until you are satisfied with its contents.
- If you are excited for a movie, don’t watch the trailer.
- You want to know your true friends? Stop reaching out to people for a while.
- If you need to take your vehicle to a garage, clean your car first. They will treat your car better.
- If you have some spare time, look up volunteering opportunities near you to meet new friends and branch out in your community.
- If you like cookies and free stuff, donate blood. You get a free cookie!!
- If you get good service, tell the manager the name of who served you and how they did. It takes a little time and you make everyone’s day.
- Go back and re-read technical manuals for something you are passionate about, every year or so. It’s amazing what new ideas you learn with a more experienced perspective.
- When you call up customer service or technical support, before you start talking about your problem, ask the person you’re speaking with how their day is, going and tell them that you understand and sympathize with them, and then explain to them that while you don’t want to add more to their drama, that you have a problem. The starter conversation will let them know you acknowledge them as a person and put them in a better mood that is more likely to lead to better help for you and be of better assistance.
- If you want to lose weight, but often feel hungry, drink a cup of water when thinking about food. The water will make you feel full for longer. Drinking more water, in general, is likely to lead to more weight loss.