Rebecca Vaxon 3m 856 #career
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Advice For A Good Career
Almost every person’s ambition in life is a solid and successful career path. Everybody wants to earn good money and be appreciated as a professional. Climbing up a career ladder is neither easy nor fast, but numerous positive examples demonstrate that everything is possible with perseverance and smart tactics.
Let’s take a look at the secrets of a successful career.
Is a Good Career Really That Important?
Yes, it is. We spend half of our lives working, so the success of our professional activity is crucial for our happiness in so many ways.
- Career success often determines who we are and directly affects our self-esteem. Being a failure at our professional life often makes us think little of ourselves and lose self-confidence. In order to love ourselves and to believe that our lives mean something, we need to be successful.
- A solid career path creates social image that we long for. Our reputation and public image as a person with good career path are very valuable to us, and for some it is the main reason to build a solid career.
- A good career allows for financial security and planning. If you manage your monthly income and invest time into financial planning, you are more secured for your future. You can be sure that your pension will be enough, and your children will have a starting point to go from. A good career means financial stability. So, you don’t need to be anxious about money issues. Regarding financial security tips, read more on that here.
- Your career success allows for a good balance between your family life and work, and promotes good relationships. But only in case you don’t spend 24/7 at your office trying to impress your boss.
In general, every person deserves to have a successful career, and is perfectly capable of achieving it. Regardless of the chosen career field, there are certain key priorities and thoughts that can help you achieve what you long for in terms of career advancement.
Top Advice for a Successful Career
So, what are the secrets to a successful career?
1. The right choice.
People are often asked to choose the right career path for them as soon as they enter university. In reality, hardly anybody knows right away what they will be good at or what they will love doing in the future. Don’t set unrealistic expectations to yourself. You do not have to build a successful career two years after finishing university. The important thing here is to start doing at least something to gain experience and to know your strong sides. You have the right to choose what it is you want to do several times throughout your working life, and it is completely OK.
The right choice of activity also gives you the key ingredient to your career success – passion towards what you do. Passion is the love for the activity in itself, and the understanding of how important this activity is for you and for other people. If you find an activity like this for yourself, you will be able to keep on going when things don’t look good, and set a positive and inspirational example to others. Passion will also keep you more productive on a day-to-day basis, because you will simply love what you do.
2. Invest time and energy first.
Do not expect results just for being there. A good career path will require you to invest your time and energy, first with no visible effect. Be prepared to give yourself first, work hard and a lot, in order to be successful. And be patient.
3. Don’t be afraid to change course of action if needed.
We fall and start from zero several times throughout our careers. Company bankruptcy, economic crises, budget cuts all happen, and sometimes we are left with nothing even if we do not deserve it. You should not be flagged down by such events, and find it in yourself to continue or start again. There are always opportunities for those who seek them.
4. Continuous education.
Never stop educating yourself. In today’s fast-developing world, your knowledge is likely to be outdated half a year after you received it. It is never enough to just get a degree. You will need to constantly improve your education by visiting courses, workshops and conferences and studying online. Make sure you also get official certificates.
5. Work on relationships.
People are key to your successful career advancement. Never underestimate the value of good relationships. Studies have shown that emotional intelligence and the ability to build interpersonal connection is even more important than formal small talk or regular team building. Your personality in communication is what builds your future career success. So, invest more of your time into getting to know people you work with and genuinely connecting with them, as they may one day play a key role in your career.
No matter which career you choose, adopt these principles as your everyday mantra. They will help you advance and will prove to be the most valuable mindset acquisition you will ever have.