The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
The Small Business Dream
People all across America have thought about their ultimate small business dream. What that one kind of business is you would want to own; restaurants, boutiques, even dog walking companies. But what are the most looked into small business types?
Bid-On-Equipment used Google search trends to see what types of small businesses people are looking into and broke it down to state-by-state data to see which states search certain business types an unusual amount compared to other states.
Clothing line is the most searched small business type across the country, bringing in over 8,500 Google searches a month. Restaurants and food trucks follow next in line with over 5,000 monthly searches each.
Massachusetts and New Jersey both had dog walking businesses searched more than other states. For the Midwest Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin all searched group homes more than other states.
Montana, Wyoming and Colorado each have bars as their unusually the most searched business compared to other states.
People are dreaming of small businesses everywhere, but it is interesting to see what people are searching for more than others dependent on their location. Take a look at the map to see how your state compares to others.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
Small business dreams
Every month thousands of Americans turn to Google to kick off their entrepreneurial dreams. They search for tips and plans for starting all kinds of businesses. Analyzing the searches, we see what’s on people’s minds and what business types are unusually popular in each state.
20 most searched business types
Average monthly search volume and us for each keyword, including variations of either “business plan for an x” or “how to start an x”
- Clothing line search volume 8,510
- Restaurant search volume 5,940
- Food truck search volume 5,570
- Record label search volume 3,080
- Daycare search volume 2,370
- coffee shop search volume 2,350
- Farm search volume 2,010
- Catering business search volume 1,710
- Trucking Company search volume 1,630
- Bakery search volume 1,520
- Brewery search volume 1,380
- Construction Company search volume 1,210
- Bar search volume 1,160
- Property management company search volume 1,160
- T-Shirt Company search volume 1,080
- Group home search volume 1,040
- Real estate agency search volume 1,030
- Dog walking business search volume 1,000
- Gym search volume 960
Most profitable small business types
(<$10m annual revenue)
- accounting, tax preparation, bookkeeping and Payroll Services 18.4%
- management of companies and Enterprises 15.5%
- offices of real estate agents and Brokers 15.19 %
- automotive equipment rental and leasing 14.55 %
- Legal Services 14.48%
- offices of dentists 14.41 %
- electric power generation, transmission and distribution 14.02%
- lessors of Real Estate 14.01%
- offices of other health practitioners 13.30%
- offices of Physicians 13.01%
Most common small businesses
- computer repair
- car repair
- web design
- restaurant, Cafe, Bakery
- online store
- retail store
- Medical Care
- IT consulting
Best states to start a business
- North Carolina
- New Hampshire
Jobs expected to grow most by 2024
- wind turbine service technicians
- occupational therapy assistants
- physical therapist assistants
- physical therapist aides
- home health aides
- commercial divers
- nurse practitioners
- physical therapists
- ambulance drivers
Own Your Copy Today!