The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
The Luxury Accessory Watches
A luxury watch is all about the qualities which makes it different from the ordinary watches. Everyone fond of luxury watches, as luxury watches are all about qualities that make it totally different from the ordinary watches. It’s not just about the looks or any other things but it is all about each and every aspects and perfection as well. From past many years, Swiss watch manufactures have perfected the internal parts. This is a great feature if we consider the fact that a luxury watch is not far away from becoming the collector’s items. As technology progressed, the mechanism used to measure time, which has been replaced by use of quartz vibrations or electromagnetic pulse. The first electronic watch was developed in 1970. Today’s watches are more than just an accessory that tells time. It serves as a testimony, ability to harness time.
History of Watches
The watches were first manufactured in 2000 BC, when people use sun dials to calculate the time. From past many years we have been gone through many changes in timekeeping. From pocket watches to today’s wrist watches we come a long way. But there are many companies who are manufacturing luxury watches from past few decades. Companies like Blancpain, Breguet, Baume & Mercier and other few companies are in heavy demand for manufacturing quality watches. Somewhere these watches belong to status. The first wrist watch came as a bracelet and was created by A.L Breguet for Napoleon sister Caroline, queen of Naples.
Below, we have shared Infographic which illustrates the development of luxury watches.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
HISTORICAL THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT LUXURY WATCHES
The human race has come a long way since the days of tracking time with sun dials. We follow the timeline of the emergence of the luxury watch industry from its beginnings in the eighteenth century.
- 1735 Jehan-Jacques Blancpain started making watches in 1735.
- 1775 Breguet is a Swiss manufacturer of luxury watches, founded by Abraham-Louis Breguest in Paris in 1775.
- 1830 Baume & Mercier was founded as “Freres Baume” in 1830 by brothers Louis-Victor and Celstin Baume.
- 1832 Longines is a watch company based in Saint-Imier, Switzerland. Founded by Auguste Agassiz in 1832.
- 1833 Jaeger-Lecoultre is a Swiss luxury watch and clock manufacturer based in Le Sentier, Switzerland.
- 1839 Patek Philippe is a Swiss watch manufacturer founded in 1851, located in Geneva and the Vallee de Joux.
- 1887 Cartier founded in Paris, France in 1847 by Louis-Francois Cartie.
- 1848 The forerunner of Omega, La Generale Watch Co, was founded at La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland in 1848.
- 1860 TAG Heuer traces its roots to 1860 when Edouard Heuer founded Uhrenmanufaktur Heuer AG in St-Imier, Switzerland
- 1865 Zenith SA is a Swiss watchmaker. The company was started in 1865 by Georges Favre-jacot.
- 1868 International Watch Company (IWC) Schaffhausen, one of the premier Swiss watchmakers founded Florentine Ariosto Jones.
- 1875 Bulova is an American manufacturer of watches and clocks. Founded by Brayden Bulova.
- 1881 SEIKO The company was founded in 1881, when Kintaro Hattori opened a watch and jewelry shop calld “K. Hattori” in the Ginza area of Tokyo, Japan.
- 1883 Alpina The cmopany was founded in 1883 by Gottlieb Hauser, a watchmaker in Winterthur who founded the Swiss Watch makers Corporation.
- 1884 Breitling SA It is a Swiss watchmaker based in Grenchen, Switzerland. Founded in 1884 by Leon Breitling in Saint-Imier.
- 1904 Oris is a manufacturer of Swiss luxury wristwatches founded by Paul Cattin and Georges Christian at Holstein in 1904.
- 1905 Rolex is inextricably linked to the visionary spirit of Hans Wilsdorf, its founder.
- 1906 Mont Blank is a German manufacturer of luxury writing instruments, watches, jewellery and leather goods, often identified by their “White Snowflake” logo.
- 1911 Ebel is a Swiss luxury watch company, founded in 1911 in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Neuchatel, Switzerland by Eugene Blum and Alice Levy.
- 1921 Gucci is an Italian luxury brand of fashion and leather goods, aprt of the Gucci Group, which is owned by the French holding company Kering.