Matt Zajechowski 1m 121
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
7 in 10 American workers use complex vocabulary to impress a boss or colleague
The words you use can signal to others how intelligent you are, however it’s a fine line between being smart and trying to sound smart.
Preply surveyed nearly 2,000 Americans to ask them about the words they believe make people sound the smartest.
- 78% of respondents believe using big words or a complex vocabulary makes someone seem smarter.
- 68% often use complex vocabulary to impress someone.
- The words most likely to impress:
- Words most frequently used to seem smarter:
- 58% have used a word to sound smarter, even though they didn’t know it’s meaning.
Take a look at the full study findings.