Matt Zajechowski https://preply.com 1m 144
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
[Survey] 70% of Americans regret letting their foreign language skills slip
For most Americans, learning a second second language occurs in school, however a new survey found that 70% of Americans regret letting their foreign language skills slip.
An online educational platform named Preply recently surveyed over 1,000 people to better understand their experiences and opinions about studying foreign languages.
- 9 in 10 believe that learning a second language is important.
- Of those who didn’t learn a second language, 70% regret doing so.
- 21% believe they have missed a career opportunity because they didn’t know a second language.
- 58% have been embarrassed by their inability to communicate with someone who spoke a different language.
- How respondents described their current abilities: 1. I can understand basic phrases (62%) 2. I can communicate in most situations (18%) 3. I can’t understand anything (10%) 4. I can understand most things (6%) 5. I’m fluent (4%).
Take a look at the full survey results.