The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Are You Getting Sick From Being Home?
Whether it’s the paint on your walls, the flooring underfoot, or something else altogether, you might be living in a sick house. But what does that mean? Even if your house isn’t making you sick on purpose, there could still be elements of your home, from humidity to contaminated materials to not enough natural light contributing to sickness in your household.
This guide goes over five common signs that could indicate you live in a sick house.
If you and your family members seem to get sick more often than most people, consider this as the first sign of your house being the culprit. For example, if you have one person in the household with allergies or asthma and others frequently catch what seems to be a cold, consider the possibility that dust mites may be the culprit.
Keep an eye on dust levels or try dusting with a damp cloth instead of dry cloths to avoid spreading dust around the house. Also, consider whether pets bring allergens like dander or pollen into the home on their fur or feet, and make sure you wash bedding regularly. Also, make sure you vacuum your house often and ensure your vacuum has a clear filter.
The most common cause of musty odors is moisture damage, whether from roof leaks, plumbing leaks, or foundation cracks. If the source of the moisture is left untreated, it will cause chronic skin infections and other allergic symptoms, which can make your home uninhabitable.
Additionally, certain household products and materials release chemicals and contribute to poor indoor air quality. These include new carpeting, cleaners, and even new clothing or shoes. Many people with allergies report that their symptoms worsen after spending time in homes with these chemical pollutants.
Odors are more noticeable when the air conditioner is not running. It may be a sign that excessive moisture is present in your home. If this is the case, the nu-calgon iwave-r generator could come in handy since it can also remove pollutants present in the air like smoke.
If you live in an older home, you’ve probably noticed peeling paint in a few spots. Peeling paint can be unsightly, but it can also cause health problems for your family. Not all paint contains high lead levels, and as long as they’re not chipping or peeling off, they don’t pose a risk. But when the paint starts to peel and crumble, it can release lead dust into the air and on surfaces near the peeling areas.
Lead is a potent neurotoxin; long-term exposure to lead can cause brain damage in children and adults. Even if no one in the family seems to be reacting to the paint, remember that it may take time for symptoms to appear. You can remove the peeling paint with the help of professionals and use non-lead-based paint for your house.
Just as mold grows in damp, dark places, it flourishes in homes with poor ventilation. The combination of stuffy indoor air and warm, humid conditions is what mold needs to take hold. Mold can grow in the walls and floors of your home if moisture collects there. In addition to these scenarios, certain construction materials like carpeting and drywall lead to toxic mold growth.
Toxic mold commonly causes flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, and muscle aches. It may cause immune system problems, neurological issues, or skin irritation in more severe cases. Ensure there is proper ventilation to avoid mold build-up. If mold has already invaded your home, contact a professional for appropriate removal of the mold.
Tiny and nearly invisible, these little creatures love to live in warm, moist environments. Dust mites thrive in the bedding, carpets, and furniture of your homes. They feed on the dead skin shells humans shed daily and leave them as dust. You can find dust mites in upholstered furniture like couches and chairs, pillows, carpets, and mattresses.
They especially like soft surfaces that collect dust, such as stuffed animals, blankets, curtains, and rugs. If you have allergies or asthma, you may find that you’re reacting to dust mites more than to other allergens. That’s because dust mites tend to be more prevalent than other outdoor contaminants indoors. The best way to combat dust mite allergies is to reduce the amount of dust in your home.
Nobody wants to live in a house that’s making them sick. So, if you think your home might be the culprit behind your health woes, there’s good news: it’s not too late to do something about it. But do take care when it comes to performing any DIY repairs or modifications on your home, and make sure you have proper guidance and training first. You don’t want to add another nasty ingredient to the mix. You want your home to be well-designed, comfortable, and healthy!