The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Average Time Spent Reading Novels vs Time Spent On Phone
- A new study details the books we could read in a month if we cut back our monthly digital intake
- We could read five books within the 23 hours we spend a month on social media
- In the 24 ½ hours we spend a month instant messaging, we could have read The Great Gatsby, The Chronicles of Narnia and more…
*Buzz* Text message
*Buzz* Facebook notification & 4 new emails
*Buzz* WhatsApp message
*Opens phone* Instagram scrolling
*Buzz* Facebook notification
The reasons we find to pick up our phone just that one more time throughout the day are never ending. Using data from Ofcom’s Digital Day Research*, musicMagpie.co.uk discovered the amount of time people aged 16 and over spend on digital activities in a standard month. The site then compared their findings with data from How Long to Read This**, which provides details of the average amount of time it takes to finish a selection of popular books.
Comparing the books’ completion times against Ofcom’s Digital Day data, the infographic determines the titles we could finish if we spent less time online.
Data discovered that, in an average month, we spend 23 hours on social networks, 24½ hours instant messaging, 30½ hours emailing and 14 hours on a phone call. That’s a lot of time essentially glued to smartphones, computer screens and tablets.
But what if we used those hours to read instead?
The Handmaid’s Tale, Jane Eyre, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and To Kill a Mockingbird are the five books we could read in the 23.06 hours we spend on social networks.
And what about the 24.51 hours we spend instant messaging? We could read The Great Gatsby, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, as well as The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and One Hundred Years of Solitude within that time.
Further to this, in the 8.33 hours we spend video calling we could read Animal Farm and Pride and Prejudice.
So next time you have some spare ‘you time’ put down your phone and pick up and good old juice book!
Click to open / Right-click for save options
HOW MANY NOVELS COULD YOU READ IN THE TIME YOU SPEND ON YOUR PHONE?
We’re all guilty of spending a little too much time on our smartphones. With just the slightest compromise on your app-trawling habits, you’d be amazed how fast you could get through your book bucket list. We took the average time people spend on certain phone activities over a month and found out…
We spend an average of 23:06 hours per month
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hydr – Robert Louis Stevenson 0:54 hrs
- The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood 4:24 hrs
- Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë 8:50 hrs
- To Kill a Mokcingbird – Harper Lee 5:26 hrs
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass – Lewis Carroll 3:51 hrs
We spend an average of 24:51 hours per month
- The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald 2:33 hrs
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower – Stephen Chbosky 3:10 hrs
- The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) – C.S. Lewis 10:52 hrs
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, #1) – Douglas Adams 3:10 hrs
- One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel García Márquez 5:54 hrs
We spend an average of 30:47 hours per month
- Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury 3:31 hrs
- The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger 3:24 hrs
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) – J.K. Rowling 12:41 hrs
- Twilight (Twilight, #1) – Stephenie Meyer 7:42 hrs
- The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde 3:18 hrs
We spend an average of 10:56 hours per month
- The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald 2:23 hrs
- The Book Thief – Markus Zusak 8:23 hrs
PHOTO OR VIDEO MESSAGING
We spend an average of 04:51 hours per month
- Of Mice and Men – John Steinback 1:35 hrs
- Lord of the Flies – William Golding 3:10 hrs
We spend an average of 14:03 hours per month
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain 3:10 hrs
- The Fault in Our Stars – John Green 4:45 hrs
- Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden 6:08 hrs
We spend an average of 08:33 hours per month
- Animal Farm – George Orwell 1:38 hrs
- Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen 6:48 hrs
Whether the Harry Potter series sounds right up your street, you fancy a spot of The Great Gatsby, or Jane Eyre’s more your kind of thing – easing up on your smartphone addiction could be the key to re-establishing your reading passion. If you need a helping hand on your journey back to the literary universe, you can buy or sell second-hand books with muscMagpie today.