Read To Me
The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Schools and universities around the world are adapting to a ‘new normal’ this year. But some educational institutions have survived pandemics, wars, authoritarian regimes and economic depressions — and still stand today. OnlineSchoolsReport.com decided to create a series of maps showing the longest-surviving school in every country.
These schools have shaped generations for hundreds (and even thousands) of years.
These are the top 10 oldest educational institutions in the world:
- c.141 BC // China // Shishi High School (Primary)
- 597 AD // England // The King’s School Canterbury (Secondary)
- 737 // Tunisia // Université Zitouna (University)
- 797 // Germany // Gymnasium Paulinum (Secondary)
- 859 // Morocco // University of al-Qarawiyyin (University)
- 970 // Egypt // Al-Azhar University (University)
- 989 // Mali // Sankore University (University)
- 1056 // Iceland // Reykjavik High School (Secondary)
- 1085 // Sweden // Katedralskolan, Lund (Primary & Secondary)
- 1088 // Italy // University of Bologna (University)
See the infographic guide for the full list.
Own Your Copy Today!