The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Schools and universities around the world are adapting to a ‘new normal’ this year. But some educational institutions have survived pandemics, wars, authoritarian regimes and economic depressions — and still stand today. OnlineSchoolsReport.com decided to create a series of maps showing the longest-surviving school in every country.
These schools have shaped generations for hundreds (and even thousands) of years.
These are the top 10 oldest educational institutions in the world:
- c.141 BC // China // Shishi High School (Primary)
- 597 AD // England // The King’s School Canterbury (Secondary)
- 737 // Tunisia // Université Zitouna (University)
- 797 // Germany // Gymnasium Paulinum (Secondary)
- 859 // Morocco // University of al-Qarawiyyin (University)
- 970 // Egypt // Al-Azhar University (University)
- 989 // Mali // Sankore University (University)
- 1056 // Iceland // Reykjavik High School (Secondary)
- 1085 // Sweden // Katedralskolan, Lund (Primary & Secondary)
- 1088 // Italy // University of Bologna (University)
See the infographic guide for the full list.