The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Over half of UK adults are required to create presentations at work
According to new survey findings, over half of people are required to create presentations for use within their place of work. Of that number, the vast majority (84%) use Microsoft PowerPoint to do so. After PowerPoint, the next most popular presentation programmes are Prezi, Keynote, Canva and Google Slides, with all four making up the remaining 16%.
The data, collected by Buffalo 7, a specialist presentation design agency, shows that employees aged between 18 and 24 use the widest variety of software to create presentations.
Within this group, 4% more use Prezi, Keynote, Canva or Google Slides than the national average. Only 33% of this youngest set said that they were not required to design presentations at work – which makes them the most prolific creators of these materials in the study.
Of 25 to 34 year olds, 35% were not required to create presentations for work. 47% of 35 to 44 year olds were not either, while 45 to 54 year olds and 55 to 64 year olds saw an equal level of requirement, with 57% saying they never had to create presentations. Of the oldest category, those aged 65 and over, 72% said they were not required to create presentations.
Interestingly, more female employees than males reported that they regularly create presentations at work. 21% said they did so regularly, and 20% said they were asked to on rare occasions. Around 3% fewer males did so either regularly or rarely.
Men, however, were more likely to dabble in other programmes, such as Prezi, Keynote, Canva or Google Slides, with just under 10% of this demographic doing so. However, women stuck firmly to the Microsoft Office Suite offering, with just 7% straying to the other programmes.
Richard Barnes from Buffalo 7 commented on the findings: “It’s fairly clear that the trend is towards a significant growth in the use of presentations in the workplace, despite the technology required to do so having existed for years. With more “plug in and play” facilities readily available in offices, coworking spaces and other places of employment than ever before, many individuals at the start of their careers are now required to have a good knowledge of presentation software in order to be hired.
“The huge prolificity of PowerPoint is likely due to a number of factors, but, most significantly, the programme’s longevity, the common teaching of its uses in primary, secondary and further education, its accessibility, intuitiveness and ease of use and the ongoing requirement of most organisations that any and all new starters should have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Systems – including PowerPoint – are likely to be the main reasons behind its consistent popularity.”
*Google Consumer Survey interviewed 1,000 UK adults aged 18 and over.
More quotes and data are available upon request