The views of this article are the perspective of the author and may not be reflective of Confessions of the Professions.
Coffee is a daily fix for most working professionals. It’s our wake-up call and in many cases, enables us to get out of bed every morning. In fact, over 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed in the world every day! But what exactly is behind the average cup of coffee?
For example, did you know, caffeine works the same part of the brain as cocaine, amphetamines and heroine? It just has milder effects. According to research, the lethal dose of caffeine in a human is 150-200mg per Kilogram of body weight. That’s 100 cups of coffee in four hours! Also, it only takes 100 milligrams of caffeine a day – the amount found in a moderate-strength 240 ml serving of coffee – to trigger mild withdrawal symptoms.
Our infographic offers an insight into the world of coffee that you perhaps never considered; the amount of calories in different types of coffee drinks, how do calories compare in different coffee chains and what researchers say about coffee addiction.
To learn more about your daily pick-me-up, check out our infographic on Coffee – The Truth about Your Morning Fix below.
Visit our website for more great tips on food and drink at Evoke.IE.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
Coffee: The Truth About Your Morning Fix
Many rely on coffee as an early morning pick-me-up – that caffeine hit to kickstart your day. But what can kind of an impact can it have on your body?
Find out the truth about your morning fix below.
6 Things You Should Know About Coffee
- Over 2.25 billion cups of coffee are downed in the world everyday.
- Ireland consumes on average 3.5kg of coffee per year.
- Believe it or not, caffeine works the same part of the brain as cocaine, amphetamines, and heroine. It just has milder effects.
- The lethal dose of caffeine in a human is 150-200mg per Kilogram of body weight. That’s 100 cups of coffee in four hours.
- 25 million small producers rely on coffee for a living.
- Drinking even small amounts of coffee will result in a tolerance and your body will need more to get the same stimulation.
Counting Coffee Calories
Caramel Frappuccino (Whip)
Coffee blended with caramel syrup, milk, and ice.
Mocha (Skimmed milk and whip)
Espresso, chocolate, and topped with steamed milk.
Latte (Skimmed milk)
Shot of espresso with steamed milk and a dash of foamed milk.
Cappuccino (Whole Milk)
Equal amounts of espresso, steamed milk, and foamed milk.
Cafe Au Lait (Whole milk)
Coffee with steamed milk in a place of cold milk.
A shot of espresso (30 ml) with twice the amount of water.
A 30 ml shot of caffeine
How do Coffee Chains Compare?
|Costa Coffee||Starbucks Coffee||Insomnia Coffee Company|
|Regular Latte (Skimmed milk)||109 Calories||131 Calories||124 Calories (Low fat milk)|
|Regular Cappuccino||163 Calories||136 Calories||193 Calories|
|Regular White Mocha||347 Calories||500 Calories (With whipped cream)||254 Calories
Low fat milk as standard
*Serving size 470ml
Caffeine Addiction: What the Researchers Say
Caffeine is a stimulant to the central nervous system, and like other drugs, regular use of caffeine can cause a mild physical dependence.
- It only takes 100 milligrams of caffeine a day – the amount found in a moderate-strength 240ml serving of coffee – to trigger mild withdrawal symptoms.
- Caffeine withdrawal symptoms typically appear 12 to 24 hours after abstaining from coffee, and peak within 24 to 48 hours.
- Withdrawal symptoms include: headache, drowsiness, depressed mood, anxiety, muscle pain and inability to concentrate. Those with the heaviest habit usually experience the most severe side effects.
- Side effects are relatively short-term. To kick the habit, you will probably only need to get through about 7-12 days of symptoms without drinking any caffeine.
How Much Coffee Should I Drink A Day?
For healthy adults with no medical issues, it is generally agreed upon that 300mg-400mg of caffeine can be consumed daily without any adverse effects.
300mg-400mg of Caffeine = 5.2 Shots of Expresso OR 1 Starbucks Venti Brewed Coffee
As it happens. We have it.